UK PBS Dependant Visa Guidance

UK Dependant Visa is for the family members of people who have, or are applying for, visas under Points-Based-System (PBS) such as Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 4 Student or Tier 5 categories. At A Y & J Solicitors, we can assist you enhancing chances your dependant family members can accompany you to the UK so that you can embark on your new adventure, free from stress and worry.

As a focused immigration firm, we provide friendly, responsive, accurate legal advice and information that you can rely on.  By instructing us to manage your entire family’s leave to enter the UK, you can be confident you receive right legal advice and strong legal representation.

Do you need help with Dependant Visa UK?

Who Can Apply for the UK Dependant Visa?

To qualify for a Dependant Visa, you must be a dependant family member of a PBS migrant.  The Immigration Rules define a ‘dependant’ as being a:

  • Husband, wife or civil partner;
  • Unmarried or same-sex partner;
  • Child aged under 18 years at the time of application

It is highly unlikely for any other family members to claim dependant status for the purposes of a Dependant Visa.

To obtain a Dependant Visa as a spouse or partner, you must be the spouse or partner of someone who is either:

  • In the UK on a PBS visa, or
  • Applying for a PBS visa at the same time you are making your application for a Dependant Visa

Same-sex or unmarried partners must also be able to show they have been in a subsisting genuine relationship akin to marriage for the past two years.

Children may apply for a Dependant Visa if:

  • Everyone in the family is applying for entry-clearance at the same time, or;
  • Both parents are already in the UK and the child is applying to join them, or;
  • One parent is already in the UK and the other parent is applying for entry-clearance to join them along with the child.
  • Children require to live with parent because of special circumstances

An essential requirement of the Dependant Visa is that it must be shown that the family have enough money to support themselves without having to rely on public funds.  For example, if the main applicant is applying for a Tier 2 General Visa, they will need to show that they have £945 in savings plus an extra £630 in savings for each dependent.  However, if a Tier 2 Sponsor Licence holder with an A-rating can certify that these funds will be made available, the applicant may not have to provide proof funds availability.

How Do I Apply for a Dependant Visa?

Applications for a Dependant Visa can be made inside or outside the UK, and online (unless the applicant is from North Korea).  Our expert lawyers will assist you and make the process seamless.

What Documents Do I Need to Provide to Apply for UK PBS Dependant Visa?

You will need to include the following documents in your application (Note: This is not an exhaustive list):

  • A passport or other valid travel document
  • Marriage Certificate for Spouse or Birth Certificate for Child
  • Bank statements which prove the main applicant can support you during your stay with specified maintenance requirement
  • Evidences of genuine relationship of dependants with main applicant
  • The results of your tuberculosis test (if applicable)
  • The result of a criminal record check (if applicable)

We will assist you with collating the required documents for your entire family.  The UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) is typically rigid in its requirement that all documentation must be accurate and meets the stated requirements.  Failure to comply means your application risks refusal or rejection.  Any documents that are not written in the official languages of the UK (English or Welsh) must be translated by a certified professional translator.

In addition, the UKVI can enact checks to verify documentation for validity and accuracy. Any anomalies may lead to suspicion of deception, which may not only lead to application refusal but also 10 years ban from applying again.

What Are the Advantages of a PBS Dependant Visa?

As a dependant, you will be able to work and study in the UK (with some restrictions), and children will be able to go to either a state or private school.  And of course, your family will remain together, able to enjoy living in a new country.

In addition, after a qualifying period, you may be eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

How A Y & J Solicitors Can Help with Your UK Dependant Visa Application?

Our qualified lawyers at A Y & J Solicitors have extensive experience processing successful UK Dependant Visa applications.  We understand how complex these applications can be for some applicants; however, we will make everything as clear as possible.  We work hard and provide right legal advice and representation to improve chances of your Dependant Visa application getting approved.

A Y & J Solicitors’ first-rate customer service ensures that you receive the help and understanding you need through every stage of your application.  From the first meeting until you have the decision on your visa, we take each step with you, ensuring you are constantly updated on the progress of the application.


There is no requirement to be proficient in English to obtain a PBS Dependant Visa.  However, if you wish to apply for settlement, you will need to meet the English language requirement and pass the Life in the UK test.

If you are a single parent, the following conditions will need to be met for your child to obtain a UK Dependant Visa:

  • You are the sole surviving parent of the child(ren); or
  • You have ‘sole responsibility’ for the child(ren); or
  • There are serious or compelling family considerations which must be considered by an immigration official examining your application.

Contact Us Today for UK PBS Dependant Visa!

Brochure of UK PBS Dependant Visa

Dependant Visa UK

How Do I Bring My Dependents to the UK if I am on a Points Based System Visa?
Here is what you need to know:

Family members of Points Based System (PBS) visa holders can enter the UK on a PBS Dependant Visa. They can be children, a spouse or civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner; You must have a visa under the Points Based System (PBS) to sponsor your family members. You may apply for visas for your Dependants at the same time that you apply for your own PBS visa; Applications must include documentation to evidence your claimed relationship with your dependants and all dependants need to meet certain requirements; The Dependants must also show that there is suffcient fund to maintain and accommodate themselves in the United Kingdom (UK);

Blog on UK PBS Dependant Visa

All About UK Dependent Visas
On June 04, 2018 | In Dependent Visa | By A Y & J Solicitors

Dependent Visas UK – Advantages, Disadvantages and Reasons of Refusals

PBS Dependent Visa helps a spouse, civil partners or children under 18 years age to join the migrant in the UK. You think that plan is set, you have your visa to enter the UK and your job/business/course is waiting for you; however, you still need to organise a UK Dependent Visa if you want…

Success Story on UK PBS Dependant Visa

Attention to Detail Ensures Successful PBS Dependant Entry Clearance Visa Application 1
On January 19, 2018 | In Dependent Visa | By A Y & J Solicitors

Attention to Detail Ensures Successful PBS Dependant Entry Clearance Visa Application

Sometimes a small discrepancy can have a significant impact on the success of an application. A Y & J Solicitors takes great care to ensure that every application—even the ones that appear routine—are carefully checked before submission. Unique challenges can often be resolved when expertise and diligence are available, as in the following case. Tier…


Dependant Visa UK
PBS Dependant Visa

Spouse/partner, and/or dependants can join you in the UK

PBS Dependent Visa UK

We are a specialised UK immigration law firm.

Please note, the information provided herewith is correct as of the date of the publication of this video.

Today, I want to talk to you about the Points based system dependent visa also known as PBS dependent Visa.

This is a very important visa for anyone who wants to bring their loved ones to the UK.

Presuming you are the sponsor and having your current visa under points based system then you could invite your family that means your spouse or partner, and your children under 18 years of age.

One of the important part of your Dependent Visa application is proof of funds that means maintenance requirement. The Home Office needs to be assured that you have the funds to care for any dependents in the UK. You must show proof that the specified amount of money was held in a regulated financial institution, always and at least for 90 days. If you do not have these funds, and if you are currently under Tier 2 category, it might be possible for the employer to certify the maintenance.

Those living in the UK with a dependent Visa are not able to receive public funds, but they are able to work, attend school, and receive NHS health care. After they have lived in the UK for 5 continuous years, they could qualify for Indefinite Leave to Remain also known as settlement, and then after possibly qualify for British Citizenship.

It’s important to send The Home Office a carefully prepared, thorough application including all specified evidence. Normally, the Home office will not make allowances for incomplete application.

This is really about families being together, and we don’t want anything to delay or deny this. Make sure you carefully review all the documentation you need for the Dependent Visa.

A non-exhaustive list of documents includes but not limited to the proof of the sponsor’s UK employment, proof of marriage/partnership for a spouse or partner, full birth certificates for any children under 18, and proof of your financial resources.

All time sensitive information, such as bank statements, must be current, and any documents not in English or Welsh must be translated by a certified translation agency.

Of course, the reward for careful applications is having your family with you in the UK, quickly with least hassle.

If you require more information/assistance in relation to the dependent Visa application, then please get in touch with us.

Our contact details are at the bottom of this video. We’re happy to help.

Thank you.

A Y & J Solicitors’ Review

5 Out of 5 Star
Simon H gave AY&J Solicitors 5 stars via @Trustpilot

Professional and comprehensive service that was faultless. The attention to detail and the guidance provided in completing the application and the required documentation was perfect. My consultant lawyer Sok Wei Low was extremely helpful and was always accessible to answer any questions I had at any time. I would highly recommend The service and was extremely pleased with the final outcome.

5 Out of 5 Star
Nirupama Carruthers gave AY&J Solicitors 5 stars via @Trustpilot

Excellent service!! I have consulted A Y & J Solicitors twice for two different visa applications and each time they have provided me with top notch service. Yash and his team are ever so approachable and patient. They always go an extra mile. Their services are well worth the money paid. I had approached A Y & J Solicitors for help with my UK spouse visa application, my case was a complex one as I had to provide a long list of documents to support my application ( my partner was self employed ) and Yash and his team communicated so efficiently between myself in India and my husband in the UK and got all the documents organised and ready for me to make the application in India. I am ever so thankful for all their help and support. I would definitely recommend A Y & J Solicitors and use their services again.

5 Out of 5 Star
Shendrew gave AY&J Solicitors 5 stars via @Trustpilot

Having found myself in a rather sticky situation I was desperate for advice/help/guidance. I found A Y & J Solicitors through a friend and with in minutes into my first phone call to them, felt a sense of tremendous peace of mind which I had longed for. Mr Yash spoke very professionally and together with his team went on to do the almost impossible and secure an ‘Out of time’ extremely complicated Tier 2 application for myself and a spouse visa for my wife. Yes they are expensive. But their services are well worth it. They are direct & almost every step of the way they were transparent and kept me updated on the status as and when they knew anything. With out a doubt, I can easily say that our experience with them has been fantastic and would highly recommend their services to any one i know that is looking for a good immigration solicitor. Keep up the excellent work Mr. Yash. God Bless. Thumbs up to the excellent team they have.

10+ years, Legal 500 recommended with over 5000+ positive reviews