Spouse Visa UK / Civil Partnership Visa

Spouse Visa UK / Civil Partnership Visa provides an opportunity to visa national partners to live and work in the UK. You can apply for this family visa if you are the husband, wife, civil partner, partner (of more than two years) of a British national or settled person in the UK. Some of the requirements are terribly restrictive, for example, applicants must pass a significant minimum income threshold, which has been subject to fierce legal battles and criticism from family groups.

Our team provides expert legal advice and representation to those who are applying for a UK Spouse / Civil Partnership visa, and we have a strong track record of successful applications.

Do you need help with Spouse Visa UK?

What Are the Requirements for a UK Spouse Visa or Civil Partnership Visa?

 To successfully obtain a UK Spouse/Civil Partnership visa, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Your spouse/civil partner must be a British Citizen or settled in the UK
  • You are legally married or in subsisting relationship with your partner
  • You intend to live with your sponsor and have adequate accommodation
  • Your sponsor meets the financial requirements of £18,600 per year (this increases if you have children) or meeting saving requirements
  • You meet the English language requirements

The initial visa is granted for 33 months, after which you may apply for a Spouse Visa Extension of 30 months.  After five years, you may be able to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

How Do I Apply for a UK Spouse Visa or Civil Partnership Visa?

You can apply for a UK Spouse / Civil Partnership Visa by post or online or at a premium service center.  Not only will you need to fill in the extensive application form correctly, you will also need to send in the required supporting documents.

If the caseworker examining your application has doubts about the genuineness of your relationship, you may be asked to attend a Spouse Visa Interview.  You will be asked questions about your relationship and each other to see if your marriage is authentic rather than a sham.

What Supporting Documents Will I Need for Spouse Visa or Civil Partnership Visa?

UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) officials will want to see the following documents (It is not an exhaustive list) included with your application:

  • Your current passport or other travel documents
  • Your marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • Details of any criminal convictions, if applicable
  • Your National Insurance number (if you have one)
  • Details of your accommodation in the UK
  • Bank statements and details of your salary showing your sponsor can meet the minimum income threshold
  • Your sponsor’s British passport or Indefinite Leave to remain documents
  • Details of any children who are also coming to the UK

What Are the Advantages of Having a UK Spouse Visa or Civil Partnership Visa?

Being separated from your spouse or civil partner can be heartbreaking for you and your children.  If you have fallen in love and married someone from the UK, obtaining a family visa can allow you to come to the UK and spend a life with your spouse/civil partner.

Our team can provide legal advice and representation you require so you and your spouse/partner can live, work and build future together in Britain.

What Can I Do if My UK Spouse Visa or Civil Partnership Visa is Refused?

Spouse Visas can get refused if it is not prepared carefully. The British government has a goal to bring net migration down into the tens of thousands despite growing opposition to what is considered an unrealistic and harsh target.  The one group of applicants who have been targeted to bring down immigration can be families.  It is likely that immigration officials refuse family visas on even the smallest grounds, so there is no room for error.

To add to the misery, at times, when a spouse visa refused, there is a possibility that there may not be an option for making an appeal, and there is no right to apply for an administrative review as well.  Therefore, your only option when faced with a refusal may be to submit a new application entirely or apply for judicial review.

We understand the emotional rollercoaster couples can go through when they are forced to battle with the British Home Office.  Our lawyers provide sensitive and compassionate service to our clients and have the expertise and experience needed to swiftly challenge a negative decision by  Home Office and provide you with a positive result.

Why Choose Us to Help You Apply for a UK Spouse Visa or Civil Partnership Visa?

As highly experienced immigration experts, our lawyers will work with you to check that your application is filled in correctly and that all of the correct documentation is provided.  This will prevent immigration officials from being able to refuse your submission due to a mistake.

By working with us, you can be confident that your best interests will be protected, and the visa application process will go through smoothly. We work hard and aim for the best possible results. Read our success stories on Spouse Visas here.


The type of questions which may be asked at a spouse visa interview will depend on the individual caseworker. However, examples may include:

  • How did you and your spouse meet?
  • How much does your spouse earn?
  • Have you met their friends and family?

Our team can conduct a mock interview with you both to help you prepare for the interview.

Following a high profile Supreme Court decision in 2017, the Home Office has changed the immigration rules to allow caseworkers to consider, in specific circumstances, any third-party funding when examining whether the minimum income threshold has been met.

Contact Us Today for UK Spouse Visa / Civil Partnership Visa

Brochure of UK Spouse Visa or Civil Partnership Visa

Spouse Visa UK

How can my spouse/partner join me in the UK?
Here is what you need to know before applying for a spouse visa

The Sponsor must already live in the UK and considered to be present and settled such as having Indefinite Leave to Remain or British citizenship; The Sponsor and his/her spouse must be over 18 years of age, and either legally married or cohabiting for more than two years and must not be within a prohibited degree of relationship; The marriage or relationship must be genuine and subsisting; The Sponsor must be able to show that he is earning a minimum gross income of £18,600 per annum; The Sponsor must be able to show that there is adequate accommodation for both of you in the UK where you will be living together; The Applicant must prove English proficiency before applying for a spouse visa;

Blog on UK Spouse Visa or Civil Partnership Visa

Tips For Getting A UK Spouse Visa
On June 04, 2018 | In Spouse / Partner Visa | By A Y & J Solicitors

Spouse Visa UK – Top Three Tips while Applying for it

Spouse Visa UK allows non-EU partner of the British or Settled person to join and live in the UK. We can say that meeting ‘the one’ and getting married is one of the happiest times in most people’s lives, made even more rewarding when a UK Spouse Visa has been successfully granted. We were recently…

Success Story on UK Spouse Visa or Civil Partnership Visa

On January 19, 2018 | In Spouse / Partner Visa | By A Y & J Solicitors

Creative Solution for Income Threshold to Join British Spouse in the UK

Entry Clearance Application to join your British spouse in the UK – Meeting the Income threshold using savings. Mr S is a Non-EEA national who married his British spouse over 20 years ago. He is the father of two British children and has lived in a Non-EEA country for the last 19 years. He has…

Video on Spouse Visa Spouse / Civil Partner Visa

Immigration Solicitors UK Spouse Visa
UK Spouse Visa Application

Requirements including Genuine & Subsisting relationship.

Requirements for Applying UK Spouse Visa

We are a specialised UK immigration law firm.

Today I want to talk to you about the UK Spouse Visa.

If you’re married, it’s only natural, you as a couple wanting to live together in the same country. But sometimes the Home Office gets in the way of acquiring a spouse visa.

The first step is to make sure that the sponsoring spouse is living in the UK either with a settlement or British Citizenship. The next challenge is often the financial requirement under appendix fm. One of the option of meeting this requirement is by showing The sponsoring partner earning a minimum of 18,600 pounds annually. Even though the spouse can work in the UK when they arrive on a spouse visa, this income criteria must be met to apply.

You must both be over 18 years of age, and legally married or have been in a civil partnership for more than 2 years. You need to show in your application that you have adequate accommodation and you will be living together. You also need to prove English proficiency if you do not come from a country where English is the primary language. This can be proven with a degree that was taught in English or by passing an approved English language test. All documents and certificates need to be in English or translated into English by a certified translator.

Keep in mind that Home Office will scrutinise your application carefully, make sure you have all the documents required, either originals or certified copies. You should also include documents to demonstrate your genuine and subsisting relationship.

Once your spouse visa is approved you can live, work and study in the UK, and travel in and out of the U.K. throughout the visa duration. The visa is valid for 2 years and 9 months. You can then apply for an extension of 2 years and 6 months which will allow you to reach the 5-year residency requirement to apply for Indefinite leave to remain (ILR) or settlement. You could then also qualify British Citizenship.

The spouse visa application is challenging due to its strict requirement. We’re experienced in submitting successful spouse visa applications, and we love it when we can help bring people together. If you would like us to help, please get in touch. Our contact details are at the bottom of this video. Thank you for watching.

A Y & J Solicitors’ Review

5 Out of 5 Star
Simon H gave AY&J Solicitors 5 stars via @Trustpilot

Professional and comprehensive service that was faultless. The attention to detail and the guidance provided in completing the application and the required documentation was perfect. My consultant lawyer Sok Wei Low was extremely helpful and was always accessible to answer any questions I had at any time. I would highly recommend The service and was extremely pleased with the final outcome.

5 Out of 5 Star
Mehta gave AY&J Solicitors 5 stars via @Trustpilot

I had recently applied for spouse visas through A Y and J Solicitors. Yash has indeed years of special expertise in this field and guided me with the right set of documents especially when its a self employed case. A highly knowledgeable person, very professional, extremely talented and friendly person. Diana as well, very thorough with her bits, very knowledgeable and eye for detail , absolute perfectionist. Everyone at office are helpful and indeed friendly. I would 100% highly recommend AY&J Solicitors services Excellent Services delivered by highly talented professionals.

5 Out of 5 Star
Silva Dabhi gave AY&J Solicitors 5 stars via @Trustpilot

Amazing people at A Y & J Solicitors! Smooth operation throughout and very helpful advice.

10+ years, Legal 500 recommended with over 5000+ positive reviews