Tier 4 General Student Visa Guidance for UK
Tier 4 General Student Visa is the category that allows overseas students to come to the UK and study. It is fact that the UK has a long and well-known educational history. Students from almost every country have heard of Cambridge and Oxford. However, other universities in the Russell Group such the London School of Economics and Political Science, University of Bristol, and Durham University are also world-renowned. In addition, there are an abundance of technical colleges and other higher education providers located throughout the country.
To enter the UK on a student visa, some tough requirements need to be met. However, recognising the enormous contribution international students make to the UK, not only economically, but culturally as well, the government is testing a scheme to make it easier for students to enter the UK.
Every year, many students come to the UK and acquire prestigious degrees. In 2015/16, 14% of students studying at higher educational institutes were from outside the EEA. Our expert immigration advisors assist students and academic institutions on all student visa matters and have a high rate of success with even the most complex applications.
Who Can Apply for a UK Tier 4 General Student Visa?
To apply for entry to the UK on a student visa, you must be:
- An overseas student who wants to study in the UK, or
- Already in the UK, and wishing to remain in the UK to study, or
- Already in the UK and wanting to switch to the Student Visa category
What Are the UK Tier 4 General Student Visa Eligibility Requirements?
You must meet the following criteria to successfully apply for a Tier 4 Student Visa:
- Have been offered a place at a UK higher educational institution which is a licensed Tier 4 Sponsor
- Have a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) number from your UK educational institution
- Meet minimum financial requirements to live, pay tuition, and cover expenses while in the UK
- Have proof of English language proficiency (there are some exceptions):
- Nationality from an English speaking country, or
- An accepted English language degree, or
- Successfully passing an accredited English language test
In addition, your course must meet the criteria. You can attend the following on a Tier 4 (General) Visa:
- a full-time course that leads to at least a Level 6 qualification on the Ofqual register
- a part-time course leading to at least Level 7 on the Ofqual register
- a foreign course of degree level study that’s equal to a UK higher education course and is being run by an overseas higher education institution
- a full-time course, with at least 15 hours per week of organised daytime study, leading to a qualification which is at least Level 3 on the Ofqual register
- a recognised foundation programme as a postgraduate doctor or dentist
What Documents Are Required for a Tier 4 General Student Visa?
To successfully apply for a Tier 4 Student Visa, you will need to submit the following (a non-exhaustive list of) documents with your application:
- your passport or other valid travel document
- CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies)
- proof (in the form of bank statements or other financial documents) that you can pay for your course fees and support yourself throughout the time you spend studying
- proof that your parent or guardian consent to you coming to the UK if you are under 18 years old, proof of your relationship with your parent or guardian
- the results of your Tuberculosis test if you are required to have one
The Advantages of Having a Tier 4 General Student Visa
Students from all over the world pursue an ambition to learn at one of the world-renowned educational institutions in the UK. For students outside the EEA, getting permission to live and study in the UK is sometimes challenging.
The Tier 4 (General) Student Visa allows you to live and study in the UK, and subject to meeting relevant requirements you can work up to 20 hours per week during term time and full time during off-term time. You may also be able to bring your immediate family with you while you are studying.
What Can I Do if My Tier 4 General Student Visa Application is Refused?
Tier 4 Student Visa application can be refused mentioning that you are not genuine student. An interview from Entry Clearance Officer can be conducted while considering your visa application to establish whether you are a genuine student as required by the paragraph 245ZV(k). If your Tier 4 Student Visa application is refused, there are several options available to you, including:
- Resubmitting your application
- Administrative Review
- Judicial Review
Our lawyers can assist you with deciding the best course of action and provide clear, concise legal advice and representation.
How A Y & J Solicitors Can Assist with Tier 4 General Student Visa applications
Our highly qualified lawyers are experienced in successfully obtaining student visas for non-EEA nationals. We work closely with our clients from the first introduction until they receive the decision on their visa application and ensure the process as simple and stress-free as possible. Read our clients reviews here.
Unfortunately, not, you will need to apply for settlement via another route. Talk to our team about your options.