Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visa

Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visa – What You Need to Know?

Jun 01, 2018
Last Updated on May 22, 2024

Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme Visa provides entry to the UK for 18-30-year olds from the following countries:

  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Japan
  • Monaco
  • New Zealand
  • Hong Kong
  • Republic of Korea
  • Taiwan

In addition, 18-30-year olds who are British overseas citizens, British Overseas Territories citizens, or British nationals (overseas) can also apply.

The visa category is suitable for many young people who wish to travel and adventure, experience life in the UK before returning home to a ‘grown-up’ life and responsibility. If you fall into one of the above categories and are longing to start your Overseas Experience (OE), our lawyers can assist you with not only obtaining a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme Visa but also providing advice on the restrictions of the visa and other practical aspects of your move such as opening a UK bank account.

Client says, “A Y & J Solicitors are the BEST and the first GENUINE law firm.

They were very efficient, responded to all our queries straight away.

They were very efficient, responded to all our queries straight away. I would highly recommend them to everyone………I can’t thank them enough.”

How do I get a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visa?

As well as meeting the age and nationality criteria outlined above, applicants must have savings of at least £1,890. You will also need to pay the healthcare surcharge in full, which will amount to £400 to cover you for the two years of your visa.

You may be eligible for a Tier 5 visa if you are from the Republic of Korea or Hong Kong, however, an employer must sponsor you. To do this, they will need to hold a Tier 5 Sponsor Licence.

If you have children living with you or for whom you are financially responsible or have been in the UK under the former ‘working holidaymaker’ category or other schemes, you will be unable to apply for entry-clearance under the Tier 5 Youth Mobility scheme.

Alongside your application, you will need to send the following documents:

  • Your current passport or valid travel document
  • The evidence you have the required funds (this is usually achieved by providing bank statements)
  • The results of your TB test (if required)

Is Opening a UK Bank Account Difficult?

Opening a UK bank account is a little easier than it was in the past. This is welcome news to Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme Visa applicants because most employers in the UK will require you to have a bank account, so they can pay you.

Top Tip – it is common for most UK employers to pay salaries monthly, so be sure to factor this into your budgeting.

To open an account, you will need to provide two documents, one to prove your address and one to prove your identity. The latter can be a passport or a driver’s licence. It can be tricky to find proof of address, as you are likely to be staying in a hostel or temporary accommodation when you first arrive. Thankfully, many banks will accept a letter from your place of study or your employer which states address, provided it is not more than three months old. Sometimes, it is so easy that applicant opens a bank account over the internet or phone, a bank can share the latest requirement on this.

How do I find work in the UK?

OE’s are also called working holidays for a reason. If you want to fund your travels and social life for two years, you will need to find a job. For many, working in pubs and hotels provides the opportunity to meet lots of other expats and the chance to take advantage of free accommodation and food. But don’t feel you have to limit yourself to hospitality work – one of the reasons many young people come to the UK is to gain work experience in one of the world’s biggest, most exciting economies. You can gain experience in the UK while developing skills in sales & marketing, hospitality, accounting, administration, telemarketing and so much more.

Top Tip – For most new arrivals, work is found via agencies. Do your research before you arrive and try to have some interviews lined up for a week or so after you land in Britain. Although the UK job market is currently buoyant, it may take some time to find the right job for you. Assume it could take up to 12 weeks to find a position (if it happens sooner you will have extra money for your travels).

Can I stay in the UK After my Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme Visa Expires?

Time flies when you are having fun and in-between work, travel, and friends, two-years will pass in the blink of an eye. Many people who have entered the country on a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme Visa are not ready to go home at the end of two years. However, the scheme is not designed to provide long-term rights to remain in the country. If you want to stay in Britain, you will need to switch visas.

The most common way this is done is by convincing your current employer to sponsor you. They will need to apply for a Tier 2 Sponsor Licence and meet strict compliance obligations. Once they have the ability to issue a Certificate of Sponsorship, you will need to apply for a Tier 2 General Visa. After five years, you may be able to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain, meaning you can live in the UK free from visa restrictions.

Top tip – Do not be tempted to stay in the country after your visa expires. You will be classed as an illegal migrant and if you are caught your employer could face severe penalties-possible deportation, and you may be barred from returning to the UK for many years.

We have helped many and get a successful result for our clients, if you wish to apply for a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme Visa, call out team today for expert legal advice. We are an SRA regulated law firm and have years of experience helping young people successfully embark on their UK dream.

A Y & J Solicitors are specialists in immigration law based in central London. If you would like more information, please contact us at [email protected] or call +44 20 7404 7933.

Disclaimer: No material/information provided on this website should be construed as legal advice. Readers should seek an appropriate professional advice for their immigration matters.

Profile Picture

A Y & J Solicitors

A Y & J Solicitors is a multi-award winning, 14+ years experienced, recommended by Legal 500, boutique UK immigration law firm based in Central London. Having assisted 5000+ clients, we are well equipped to help you with our ‘In It To Win It’ approach. For your assurance and confidence, we are pleased to share our trust rating of 4.9/5 based on 1000+ reviews on Trustpilot & Google.

More from A Y & J Solicitors

Tier 4 General Student Visa refusals have become increasingly common since 2015. The news can be devastating. You have chosen your course of study. You

ETS TOEIC Judicial Review helps many innocent applicants who were a victim of a blanket refusal policy of Home Office. For many students caught up

Tier 1 Investor Visa refusal is likely to come as an unexpected blow to you and your advisors. Most Tier 1 Investor Visa applicants have

Experience Fast and Reliable Results

Experience Fast and Reliable Results

Click here to contact us Phone icon+44 20 7404 7933 WhatsApp icon+44 20 7404 7933
Contact us by mail iconContact us by phone iconContact us by WhatsApp icon