EEA Family Residents Card or Permanent Residence Card Guidance

EEA Family Residence Card and Permanent Residence card applications are different. Non-EU Family members of the European Economic Area national can apply for the EEA Family Residence card after holding a Family Permit for six months; allowing the holder to live and work in the UK without restriction. Those who remain living in the UK for five years can then apply for the EEA Permanent Residence Card.

In June 2016, the British people voted by a small majority to leave the EU.  Since then, the rights of EEA nationals and their family members have been in a state of flux, with the British government offering little clarity as to what will happen after the UK leaves the bloc as of early 2018. Therefore, many EEA citizens living in the UK have taken steps to secure their right of residence in the UK by applying for an EEA Permanent Residence Card.

At A Y & J Solicitors, our team has vast experience of assisting EEA nationals and their families securing their right to live and work in Britain.  We follow the developments on Brexit plan and analyse the impact it has on EEA citizens and their loved ones, we can provide expert advice on how to ensure their right to remain in the UK after Brexit is protected.

Do you need help with EEA Residence Card?

The Eligibility Requirements for an EEA Family Residence Card and Permanent Residence Card

EEA Family Residence Card – Eligibility and Requirements

  • The EU citizen must be exercising their EU treaty rights
  • Proof that you are the family member of the EU citizen
  • Proof that you are part of this EU citizen’s household, and/or are the dependent of this EU citizen (extended family member)

An EEA Residence card is valid for up to five years. After five years residence in the UK, the applicant can apply for an EEA Permanent Residence Card.

EEA Permanent Residence Card – Eligibility and Requirements

  • Proof that this EU citizen is exercising their EU treaty rights
  • You must have been living in the UK with this EU citizen for the past five years
  • Proof that you are the family member or extended family member of this EU citizen

Once you have an EEA Permanent Residence Card and have satisfied all other UKVI requirements, you can process further for British Citizenship.

How Do I Apply for an EEA Residence Card or Permanent Residence Card?

The EEA family member who is a qualified person can apply online for residence card or permanent residence card. There is a £65 fees for these applications.

Otherwise, you must download and fill the form:

What Documents Will I Need to Provide for EEA Residence Card Application?

To make a successful application, you will need to provide the following (non-exhaustive) documents:

  • a valid passport
  • evidence of your relationship to your EEA family member, for example, a marriage certificate, civil partnership certificate, birth certificate, or proof that you’ve lived together for two years if unmarried
  • your family member’s valid passport or national identity card (or a certified copy if you can’t provide the original)
  • proof of your dependency if you’re dependent on your EEA family member
  • proof that your EEA family member has permanent residency status or, if they have been in the country for more than three months, is exercising their Treaty rights in one of the four ways outlined below in the FAQs

What Documents Will I Need to Provide for EEA Permanent Residence Card Application?

The documents required for the EEA Permanent Residence Card are extensive, and the failure to collate the correct ones is one of the primary reasons for the high refusal rate.  You will need provide evidences of your continuous residency and activities in the UK during the 5 years of your stay in the UK. It is therefore highly recommended that you work with immigration lawyer to ensure your EU Permanent Residence Card application is filled in correctly and all the necessary documentation is included.  Doing so may save you enormous amounts of time, money, and stress.

What Are the Advantages of Obtaining an EEA Residence Card?

With an EEA Residence Card, you can travel to the UK with the confidence of knowing you will not experience any problems at the border.  In addition, after five years, you may be able to apply for an EEA Permanent Residence Card, and eventually, British Citizenship.

What Can I Do if My Application for an EEA Family Residence Card / EEA Permanent Residence Card is Refused?

The refusal of an EEA Residence Card / EEA Permanent Residence Card has a full right of appeal for both family members and extended family members.  If your application is refused, our lawyers will carefully examine the reasons and advise you on the best action to take to rectify the situation.  Options include resubmitting the application, appealing the decision, or challenging it via Judicial Review.

Why Choose A Y & J Solicitors to Help You Apply for an EEA Family Residents Card / EEA Permanent Residence Card?

A Y & J Solicitors are honoured to work with families helping them with their immigration matters. We will work with you in every step of the application process, from initial consultation until you get decision on your EEA Residency Card application.  Every client is treated with the utmost respect and consideration, and can always expect hassle-free services, regular updates, and clear communication. Read clients reviews here.

After three months in another EU member state, an EU national must show they are exercising their Treaty rights by being either:

  • employed
  • self-employed
  • a student, or;
  • economically self-sufficient

A family member is defined as a spouse, civil partner, a partner who you have lived within a relationship akin to marriage for at least two years (this includes same-sex partners), or dependent child or grandchild under 21 years, or a dependent parent or grandparent.

An extended family member includes siblings, aunts, uncles, nephews, nieces, and cousins who are dependent on you for their day-to-day care.

A Y & J Solicitors’ Review

I am extremely happy the way we were been on-boarded with the EEA Resident Permit application process & the promptness in responses throughout. Diana & Zareen were very professional & i would highly recommend for any such visa services. Thanks Team


AY&J solicitors were an absolute god-send. They supported me through each painstaking step of my application process. I rapidly became assured that I was in good hands and found their advice to be clear, calm and sound. The staff were very patient, accommodating and I felt well listened. I would certainly use their services again if need be and recommend to others.

I know A Y & J Solicitors for many years now and instructed them for various UK immigration matters. But specially I like to talk & thank about my mother’s latest EEA residence permit under ‘Surinder Singh’ route that has been approved in the ‘First instance’. It was a very complex immigration application under EU regulation but with the help of YDVISAS and team, this became a dream come true. I always received a full assurance and a complete hand holding support throughout the application process. I am united with my mother in the UK with the top technical knowledge of EU regulation, relentless efforts and honest – humble approach of A Y & J Solicitors. Saying ‘Thank you’ won’t be enough here, having my mother with me in the UK is a lot more than any words I describe my appreciation with. I highly recommend A Y & J Solicitors to anyone who is looking for professional support in relation to UK immigration including EU regulation / Surinder Singh route.

Success Story on EEA Residence Card

Permanent Residence Card EEA National

Permanent Residence Card Application for EEA Nationals Successful!

On 23 June 2016, the UK voted in a referendum to leave the EU. At present, there are no changes to the rights of residence for EEA nationals and their family members living in the UK, but this may change as the exit process continues. Unless transitional arrangements are made, the automatic consequence of the…


About UK Immigration Law Services
Before You Start

What to ask to get the right solicitor for your immigration matter.

Tips to Choose a Right UK Immigration Lawyer

We are a specialised UK immigration law firm.

In this video, I will share some tips with you on how to choose a UK immigration lawyer.

There are five very important points you may wish to consider while choosing a UK Immigration Lawyer.

Number 1: UK immigration law is very specific, fast-changing and complex.  You should not entrust your future to an individual/company that does not fully comprehend the complexity of UK immigration law. Therefore, our first tip is that you may want to consider choosing a lawyer who specialises in UK immigration law and has a wealth of experience in dealing with UK immigration applications and/or/appeals.

Tip Number 2: You will need a lawyer who will be honest with you. This includes discussions about the success chances of your immigration case, total cost and tentative time frame.

Tip Number 3: A lawyer’s reputation often precedes them – look for a lawyer who is known for honesty. Check out client reviews to see what others have said. When many people rate the same lawyer as honest after their transactions, chances are good that you’ve found an honest lawyer. Check out for independent review platform such as TrustPilot for real and verified reviews from actual clients.

Tip Number 4: How about choosing a lawyer who loves immigration law? One who cannot wait to get started on your case. A passionate lawyer who regularly sees success in immigration matters and tends to deliver great results.

Tip Number 5: Always look for a lawyer who is Authorised and Regulated. In most cases, lawyers in the UK are regulated by the SRA – Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) or by the OISC. Professional certification or Awards are also good indications. It might be prominent on their webpage if they have this.

Finally, look for a lawyer who is always improving by staying up to date on the UK immigration rules and regulations, and is constantly upgrading their skills. This is particularly important in the UK immigration sector, where laws are changed frequently, and lawyers must know exactly what is required for each type of application or appeal.

If you look for these qualities in a lawyer, it is likely that you find someone who is going to take good care of your Immigration matter, while respecting you as a valuable, important individual.

If you require legal assistance with your UK Immigration matter, please get in touch with us. Our contact details are at the bottom of this video. We’re happy to help. Thank you.

Experience Fast and Reliable Results

Click here to contact us Phone icon+44 20 7404 7933 WhatsApp icon+44 20 7404 7933
Contact us by mail iconContact us by phone iconContact us by WhatsApp icon