How To Apply To Tech Nation For A Global Talent Visa
Gaining entry to the UK on a Global Talent Talent Visa provides a unique advantage to successful applicants. Not only can Global Talent Visa holders work in any capacity they choose, be that employed, self-employed or freelance, they can also work towards being granted Indefinite Leave to Remain and ultimately, becoming a British Citizen.
One of the most popular routes for achieving a Global Talent Visa is through gaining endorsement via Tech Nation. There has been a 48% rise in applications for the Tech Nation Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa in 2019-2020, which marks the seventh year in a row that demand has increased
This article will help you understand Tech Nations’ endorsement policies and procedures, so you can make a strong application, increasing your chance of success.
What is Tech Nation?
Tech Nation was launched in 2011 by then Prime Minister, David Cameron as Tech City UK. Its original mandate was to the East London tech cluster known as London Tech City — or Silicon Roundabout. Subsequent expansion saw the creation of Tech North, designed to help tech start-ups in the North of the country expand. In 2017, Tech City UK and Tech North were combined to form Tech Nation.
What are the eligibility requirements for a Global Talent Visa?
There are two stages to obtaining a Global Talent Visa
- The first step is to seek endorsement from one of the following approved bodies: The Royal Society, the British Academy, the Royal Academy of Engineering, Arts Council England or Tech City UK., and
- The second step is to apply for the Immigration application as a Global Talent Visa
How does Tech Nation evaluate applicants?
To qualify for endorsement for Exceptional Talent from Tech Nation, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- You have been recognised as a leading talent in the digital technology
And two of the below
- a proven track record for innovation as a founder or senior executive of a product-led digital technology company or as an employee working on a new digital field or concept
- proof of recognition for work beyond the applicant’s occupation that contributes to the advancement of the field
- they have made significant technical, commercial or entrepreneurial contributions to the field as a founder, senior executive or employee of a product-led digital technology company
- they have demonstrated exceptional ability in the field by academic contributions, through research published or endorsed by an expert.
In meeting these criteria, technical applicants must demonstrate proven technical expertise in building, using, deploying or exploiting a technology stack and building technical infrastructure. Business applicants need to show proven commercial, investment or product expertise in building digital products or leading investments in significant digital product businesses.
How long does it take to receive an endorsement from Tech Nation?
The application for endorsement can take up to eight weeks. However, digital technology specialists can get a quicker decision. If you have been accepted onto a recognised UK accelerator programme, in which case your decision should be received within 3 weeks.
Once your endorsement is received, you may proceed to make your visa application to the Home Office. If your application is submitted within the UK, the standard processing time would be 8 weeks, whereas the standard processing time for applications submitted from outside the UK would be 15 working days.
Please, however, note that your endorsement is only valid for 3 months. If you failed to submit your visa application within 3 months of receiving the endorsement, it will cease to be valid and you will need to reapply for endorsement.
What are my options if my Global Talent Endorsement is refused?
A refusal of your endorsement application should make you lose your hope. If you are subject to refusal you can either:
- Apply for an endorsement review to the endorsing body, or
- Submit a new application for endorsement (this must contain fresh supporting evidence)
An experienced immigration lawyer will help you assess your options if your application is refused.
The Global Talent Visa opens many doors for those in the technology sector who are highly recognised and skilled in their field. Applicants who invest in getting professional advice in preparing their endorsement application have a stronger chance of success. In addition, working with an immigration lawyer over the lifetime of your visa will make the process of applying for Settlement far smoother.
A Y & J Solicitors are specialists in immigration law based in central London. If you would like more information regarding applying for the Global Talent Visa, please contact us at [email protected] or call ++020 3481 6774.
Disclaimer: No material/information provided on this website should be construed as legal advice. Readers should seek an appropriate professional advice for their immigration matters.